Alappuzha, also known as Alleppey, is a city in the Alappuzha District of Kerala state of southern India. It is the administrative headquarters of the Alappuzha District.
Alappuzha is also known as Alleppey, is a city in the Alappuzha District of Kerala state of southern India. It is the administrative headquarters of the Alappuzha District. This town is considered to be the oldest planned town in this region and the lighthouse built on the coast of the town is the first of its kind along the Arabian coast. As per the 2001 census, Alleppey is the sixth-largest city in Kerala with an urban population of 177,029.
Alleppey is situated 62 kilometers (39 mi) to the south of Kochi and 155 kilometers (96 mi) north of Trivandrum. A town with picturesque canals, backwaters, beaches, and lagoons, it was described as one of the places known as “Venice of the East” by Lord Curzon. Malayalam is the most spoken language. Hindi, English, and Tamil are also widely spoken in the town.
Alleppey is an important tourist destination in India. The Backwaters of Alleppey are the most popular tourist attraction in Kerala. A houseboat cruise in these backwaters is a delightful experience. It connects Kumarakom and Cochin towards the north and Quilon to the South. Alappuzha is also the access point for the annual Nehru Trophy Boat Race, held on the Punnamada Lake, near Alappuzha, held on the second Saturday of August every year, which is the most competitive and popular of the boat races in India. The mullock chip is also one of the attractions of Allapuzha which is the festive season held for ten colorful days every year in the month of December.
Other attractions in Alleppey are Alappuzha Beach, offering one of the most beautiful views of the Arabian Sea, Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple, Mannarasala Temple, Chettikulangara Devi Temple, Haripad Subrahmanya Swamy Temple, Mullakkal Temple, Edathua Church, and Champakulam Valia Palli. Krishnapuram Palace also attracts many tourists. The tasty Ambalappuzha payasam is a popular dessert.
- Kerala Special Honeymoon Package – 5 Days/4 Nights
- Kerala Delight Monsoon Package – 9 Days/8 Nights
- Jewels of Kerala Super Luxury Package – 11 Days/10 Nights
- Essence of Kerala Super Luxury Package – 9 Days/8 Nights
- Best Kerala Monsoon Package – 06 days/05 nights
- Kerala Super Luxury Package – 12 Days/11 Nights
- Kerala Hill Station and Backwater Package – 04 days/03 nights
- Kerala Monsoon Special Package – 07 days/06 nights
- Colours of Kerala Honeymoon Package – 5 Days/4 Nights
- Kerala Holiday Package – 5 Days/4 Nights
- Best Kerala Holiday Package 6 Days/5 Nights
- Best Kerala Honeymoon Package – 6 Days/5 Nights
- Kerala Honeymoon Package – 5 Days/4 Nights
- Kerala Monsoon Special Honeymoon Package – 7 Days/6 Nights
- Kerala Family Tour Package 8 Days/7 Nights
Alleppey, being a coastal area, is humid all through the year. The best time to visit the place is between September to March.
- Winters (November to February) are pleasant with temperature between 17°C to 32°C. It is the best period for honeymooning, beach activities, houseboat vacations and backwater explorations.
- Summers (March to May) have a dry and humid weather with maximum temperature reaches to nearly 37°C, and is a good season for roaming around.
- Monsoons (June to September) are accompanied with heavy rains, typically tourists avoid heavy rainy days in June and July.
December to February is cooler and ideal for sightseeing. August to November offers moderate temperatures and is associated with many celebrations. March to May is hot but still is nice for sightseeing and backwater rowing. However, the months of June and July offer heavy showers with water clogging on roads, disrupting outdoor activities.